Fitted the door temporarily to get the right angle of the A pillar. Can see how much longer I have made the cab here too compared to stock. An extra 177mm or 7". The sides lean inwards so needed to make sure that it lined up with the rear wall. Side cowl vent is just sitting there for the moment to see how it looks.
Time to get the longer centre part of the cowl to fit in. Can see it has too much curve so there is a dip where the join is. The ruler shows it better and how much it needs to come up to get a go flow to the panel.
Can make out the soft 'M' profile that will have to be altered to get it to flow with a fair curve. I will flatten out the centre section by hammering over the roller skate wheel. The metal needs to shrink as it is flattened and this hopefully will allow me to do that. Look up donut dolly on YouTube and see the process.
This side nearly there but the area around the Willys stamping is sitting a little high and will need to be addressed. There is still a dip on the other side left.
Making a template from the other side it clearly show where it needs to be raised. I did this by turning it upside down and hammering it over the skate wheel. Used the dished dolly as well. Last picture shows the improvement.
This is a bonnet off a FJ45 Toyota Landcruiser. Wanting to use the louvers from it. Looks like they liked the Willys Wagons and Trucks which predate the first Landcruiser by 5 years. Even the hinges are in the exact same spot which works in my favour. :) Unfortunately the other side is damaged and will need to be repaired.
Underside shows where the bonnet was dragged across something. Cut a block of timber to match the curve of the Willys bonnet in the same area as the louvers will go. Can see it matches the Toyota bonnet just the same.
Used a bolster to hammer over the block to bring the back edge of the louver down to the right shape. Only hammered on the flat strip between each louver.
Back side shows a lot of improvement already. To repair the crease in the louvers, and bring the front of them up, I just quickly shaped some timber to match.
Used this hammer to raise the crease and the front of the louver over the timber stake. Looks a lot better. In fact I have to work on the 'undamaged' side now to make it as even!