So now to try it on the Willys cowl. I first had to flatten out the bead so I could screw down the hinge flat. I decided to cut a slot with a hacksaw so the bead each side would not be pulled down in the process where I didn't want it. I heated it with a torch as I wanted it to shrink at the same time. When getting closer to the edge to save risking a miss hit, I hit down on my hammer like this to get right into the corner.

   

Assembled with the angled form underneath and screwed it all down to the bench. A few minutes later, hey presto!

   

Come up pretty well. Clamped back down to the firewall and looks to have worked.

   

Other side also done. With the Willys stamping raised up as well, think it fits in with the utilitarian look I going for.

   

The Landcruiser thread plate floats underneath to give some adjustment. Was badly rusted so will make new ones. I cut the same metric threads as original so can buy the matching screws to suit the hinges. The area and plate was coated in zinc before assembly and again after plug welding the piece that holds it in place.

[BACK][NEXT]

[Index]